Mid-Century Modern Kitchen Design and Remodel
Mid-Century Modern Kitchen Design Project
It’s one thing to have a nice kitchen, but another to have a nice kitchen that FUNCTIONS well. When our clients inherited a mid-century modern home, remodeling the space to include a mid-century modern kitchen design was their first priority.
Kitchen and bathroom design and remodeling support are among our favorite projects at HER Home Design LLC, so we are excited to share with you this new mid-century modern kitchen design and remodel project. This project also included a mini laundry room update.
The husband and wife are empty-nesters who inherited a single-family home built in 1951. Their home features about 3,500 sq. ft. with three bedrooms and 1.5 baths. It rests nicely on a quiet cul-de-sac in Indy’s popular Meridian-Kessler neighborhood.
The Design Challenge
The home as it was inherited, had a ton of style and charm from its time, but it lacked functionality for today’s homeowner. The home’s original layout had a laundry room INSIDE the galley-style kitchen which consumed any extra space for a pantry. The old kitchen had a large peninsula which was oddly placed with overhead cabinetry. The flow of the home did not lend itself to entertaining guests, which was really important to the couple.
Here are some of images of what the kitchen looked like before:
With a healthy budget and a ton of great ideas from the homeowners, we got right to the drawing board and were excited to present our design plan for the makeover to the family. Our design plan included the following items:
- A super functional kitchen featuring plenty of storage and a peninsula
- An updated mid-century modern design that is functional and beautiful for the homeowners
- A newly created passthrough area with a hangover for a bar on the opposite side of the kitchen
- Ceramic tile floors
- New paint scrubbable paint in a calm, relaxing tone
- Brand new modern two-toned frameless cabinetry
- A larger kitchen sink and prep sink with touch faucet
- State-of-the-art luxury appliances
- Luxury quartz countertops
- New LED overhead recessed lighting
- New pendant lighting over the peninsula
- Colorful, abstract glass tile backsplash
- Custom shelving in the laundry room
The Final Kitchen and Laundry Design & Remodel Project
The homeowners love their new mid-century modern kitchen. With the laundry room removed, an added passthrough and wet bar, a new layout that works and plenty of storage, the kitchen is now a beautiful focal point of the home. It’s light, bright and most of all… functional!
Here’s a video of the finished mid-century modern kitchen design and remodel project:
Photo Credit: The Home Aesthetic
Video Credit: HER Home Design
Every house needs a little of ‘HER’ to make it a home.
Love our work? Want to learn more about affordable kitchen and laundry room design services with HER? Want to book your interior design consultation with the HER Home Design team? Book online or call us at 317-377-4344 for an interior design or kitchen and bath project review.
- Client Married empty nesters with newly inherited home
- Date March 30, 2020
- Tags Affordable Interior Design, Design, Home Makeover, Kitchen Design and Remodeling, Mid-Century Modern